Applications for the 2017 Startup Open competition are now live. Through Startup Open, GEN recognizes promising young businesses that have yet to raise any outside capital from angel investors, venture capital firms or other formal sources of seed funding.
Startup Open is a global competition that is open to entrepreneurs from any industry with a new business that has yet to raise any outside capital from angel investors, venture capital firms or other formal sources of seed funding. More than 1,000 teams applied to compete in 2017.
Entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to showcase their businesses and innovative concepts on a global stage, as well as receive one-on-one mentoring from a pool of international experts. The winner of the competition will receive free airfare and accommodations to appear on the main stage at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Istanbul, Turkey, held April 16-19, 2018.
The rules of the competition are:
- All applications must be submitted in English.
- Applications will be accepted from 03 April 2017, until 30 September 2017.
- Applications will only be accepted online through the Startup Compete platform or through an officially approved Global/National Competition.
- It is not required that a startup be incorporated, but a company cannot be incorporated over 18 months to compete.
- You must be starting a for-profit company, or a non-profit that does not rely on grants.
- Your startup must be pre-money, no venture funding, at time of application
One winner of Startup Open receive a trip for one (1) founder to Istanbul, Turkey (room accommodation, flight and meals) where they will receive VIP delegate credentials to the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in April 2018. In addition to the Grand Prize GEC experience, all 10 finalists gain a spot in the exclusive GEN Starters Club, with additional chances there to travel to Istanbul for GEC 2018. Learn more at http://startupopen.co/prizes.
All Finalists will also compete in a public voting round during Global Entrepreneurship Week (Nov. 13-19) for the 2017 GEW People’s Choice Prize.
Applicants will have until September 30 to submit their startup.
For more information on the application process and the competition, please visit www.startupopen.co.
Latest posts by Apeh Omede (see all)
- The Tony Elumelu Foundation Seed Capital The Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme for 2017 Application Portal is Open. Get funding for your startup idea or business - January 13, 2018
- Apply to the Diaspora Challenge by Co-creation Hub Calling all African Innovators living in UK - June 2, 2017
- She Leads Africa (SLA) Accelerator Program Opens for Application - May 16, 2017